Sunday, August 23, 2009
Some Advice To Give On How To Be Insensitive (Post #1)
Communication skills have long been something I have neglected in my everyday life. It was some time ago, when I started wooing a girl, that I realised how important being able to effectively communicate my thoughts and feelings were.
Without going into too much detail, the situation was like this: she asked me what I felt about her looks while we were conversing via instant messaging. I, being insensitive, naive and honest, gave her my most objective opinion. Even though I was extremely attracted to her and had eyes for no other girl, I simply told her that she scored a “B” grade based on my female grading system (don't ask!). Big mistake.
The meaning I intended to convey was, “I find you pleasant looking and I am attracted to you, not so much because of how you look, but rather because of who you are.” Unfortunately, it never occurred to me that my intended message was incompletely transmitted, since she never asked for clarification at the time.
A few weeks later, I learnt from her what went through her mind upon hearing the message. It was along the lines of, “This guy has a grading system. I will have to work hard on my looks to stay attractive in his eyes. That seems very tiring. I just want to be myself.” At last, she finally gave feedback to my original message and this allowed me to address the misunderstanding. How the relationship progressed between the girl and I is a story for another time.
Looking back, it was this episode that helped me realise how difficult communicating effectively is, since it requires both parties in a conversation to play their part. To sum up, effective communication skills are important to me as I can improve my interpersonal relationships, be it at the workplace or in my personal life, by reducing misunderstandings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I presume things did not turn out that bad after some clarification was made? I have to agree with you Wen Jun, that usually miscommunication does and CAN instantaneously sour a relationship within split seconds. Based on my own experience, most of the times I would quarrel with my loved ones due to miscommunication or misinterpretation of message.
ReplyDeleteAs mentioned by B.B Sensei in Week 2 Lesson 2, one of the benefits of face-to-face communication is the ability to rectify any misunderstandings on the spot rather than leaving it aside. This will possibly cause more harm to any relationship or even allow misunderstandings to sink deeper, to the extent that what is untrue eventually becomes true. Abstract as it may be, but when the misinterpreted message is not rectified for some time, the receiver may very well just harbour around the misinterpreted message and assume that as the truth. Nonetheless, we can all learn to improve on our communication skills and in return improve on our love lives too.
Regards,
Ivan
YOU TOLD HER WHAT?! Haha, your story was very entertaining!
ReplyDeleteThat aside, I felt that you very effectively highlighted the difference between how males and females think with your experience! Indeed, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Somehow, when a male and a female communicate, information tends to be sent distorted to the other party. That being said, I wonder, with us never being able to completely understand each other, will effective communication between us be that simple to achieve?
But now that you have spoken so honestly about your very unintentional and undesirable experience, the next time I hear something totally outrageous and out-of-line from a guy, I will try my best to decode it according to what he probably means instead of what it sounds like to me! ;)
I must say you are pretty brave to say that she scored a B! Imagine doing that face-to-face.
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that when dealing with such matters, it is easy to end up conveying the wrong message. I had my fair share too. This shows how emotions can affect our ability to communicate effectively.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOuch!
ReplyDeleteAs you have probably discovered by now, complete honesty is a virtue in some situations but not always when matters of the heart are concerned! (I like Sheryl's initial response!)
In any case, this is a finely described situation that shows how complicated communication can be. I appreciate the clarity and conciseness of the telling and the lucid analysis.
Thanks, Wen Jun!
Hey Wen Jun.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, i am in full admiration of your brutal honesty to the girl and i'm glad it worked out well after talking through things with her.
I like how you integrated such a situation to explain effective communication and highlight how a miscontrued interpretation can lead to such negative outcomes.
I guess the next time you're met with such a situation, you could imagine yourself in her shoes on the receiving end of the message you are about to deliver. Just an idea. hahah, i'm clueless about girls too.
cheers,
aldrich
Hey Wen Jun!
ReplyDeleteSorry I miss out your URL! I did not realise I miss your post until now. =)
WOW! Another interesting post regarding girls. WHY DON'T GUYS UNDERSTAND GIRLS' PSYCHOLOGY?!?! (Guys really need lessons!) If I were the girl, I would naturally feel that way too! haha! Well anyway, I'm glad you have learnt your lesson! =P Just on a side note: Girls are viscious creatures. Do not mess with their emotions =)
hi!
ReplyDeleteWow, i am definitely looking forward to the next episode of this story!
I have to agree with Sheryl and Sarah that different genders think differently. At the same time, i feel that people place more emphasis and attention to other people's comments on them(physical appearance, academic performance, talents etc).
Besides, the message you wanted to bring across to her was not completely transmitted. You could have added another sentence such as, "looks don't really matter to me. inner beauty is more important. and you should be glad that you possess such quality". I am sure she would have been smiling really happily behind her computer screen!
Hey Wen Jun,
ReplyDeleteLove your story! It's not only hilarious but is also a great example of miscommunication between the two genders. I agree with all the girls commenting that guys and gals think differently, hence the amount of books written about the issue.
I'm not exactly sure but going by the way us girls think, I think she was attracted to you at that time, which is why she asked you for your opinion on her looks. Hahaha!!
I hope that your relationship with the girl has improved since then.
Cheers,
Abigail
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Wen Jun,
ReplyDeleteIt is always wise to exercise some prudence when answering questions from the fairer sex, especially when it concerns opinions about themselves. Girls will always be extremely concerned with their appearance to a lesser or greater extent. It helps to praise them on their efforts to doll up from time to time haha.
I have a female friend who always say that she is ugly when she is not at all. But if one agree with her, that person will really get it!
There are indeed many aspects of communications and it is important we can adapt to different situations.
Cheers,
Ken Jie
I really appreciate that everyone took the time to share their insights. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIvan,
Indeed, the situation improved after clarification (at least from my point of view!). I agree that nipping the problem in the bud is best, before the hurt feelings can be left to fester and spread.
Sheryl,
The idealist in me believes that effective communication between the sexes is possible. Imagine two people who are so comfortable with each other that they can share every single thought they have without fear of judgment from the other party. Any unclear messages would be addressed before misunderstandings can occur. And there would be world peace. =P